It can be easy for most homes to fix a drawer that isn’t working right. To fix your broken drawer, just follow our step-by-step instructions.
STEP 1: CHECK THE DRAWER
As a general rule, most common drawers will break down in three ways:
- The front panel and/or parts come loose or get broken.
- Gaps are made in the inside panel of the drawer.
- Things get worn out over time.
Before you start any do-it-yourself fix, take out the empty drawer and carefully look at it. Your drawer might just need the easiest fix, which is to tighten any screws that are loose. Fix this first, then put the box back in and see what happens.
Next, take the drawer out of the frame fully by pulling it forward and sloping the front down. Turn the handle about 30 degrees to get the wheels off the drawer slides.
STEP 2: Fix the front of the broken drawer.
Take out the solid part of the door if the front panel looks like it might fall off. To do this, use a drill or screwdriver to take out the screws. Next, put the screws in a small bowl to keep them in order. Now is the time to throw away any broken drawer parts.
- When you need to put the screws back into the drawer box, the drawer front needs new ones that are stronger.
- Do not drill holes in the front of the box. Instead, drill new holes on the side of the old, worn-out holes.
- For this job, use a drill bit that is 3/16-inch in size.
- Use a rag or brush to clean up the gunk that the drilling makes.
- Using the same screws that were taken out the first time, put the drawer front back onto its drawer box through the new holes.
- For old staples that stick out, you can remove them with pliers and put in new ones with a staple gun and the right size nails while the drawer is being put back together.
- Keep one of your staples so you know what size to buy when you need new ones.
- When you take out the screws, make sure to wear the right work gloves.
STEP 3: Put in place the drawer doors.
You might see gaps and bulges on the bottom panel inside when you take the drawer out to look at it. The drawer might not be able to slide easily into a frame because of a panel that is sticking out.
- The fastest way to fix this is to press the panel back into the holes or grooves it was meant to fit into.
- You could also make a new piece and staple it in.
- If the panel fits back into the holes correctly, glue it down securely before putting the drawer back in.
- Use wood glue to make a thread that goes all the way around your door panel at either the groove or the slot.
- Before putting the box back on the frame, let the glue dry all the way.
- At this point, if the bottom panel is too warped, try the next way to make it flat.
- Put the panel on wet grass so that the bent part is on the grass and the other side is facing the sun.
- The board will smooth out itself as the sun dries the top side.
- If the bottom piece of the door looks like it will always be broken, you will need to buy and cut new pieces of plywood to replace them.
- After the pieces have been put together, either clip a new panel on or glue the bottom panel piece into its place.
STEP 4: Fix any broken side panels
Check the sliders and rockers on the broken drawer by taking it out. People have noticed that sliders wear out over time and become loose and shaky.
- Tighten all of the screws if the sliders are only moving because of the screws that hold them together.
- If the slider’s screw hole looks old, you should take a look at the slider.
- Using the new slider hole, screw the slider back on.
- The new hole on an existing slider can be used to hold the slider part of the drawer firmly in place.
- If the slider is totally worn out, you should get a new one.
- If you have any questions about certain materials, you can get more information from the maker.
Step 5: Get all the tools you’ll need.
This tool is all you’ll need to fix something that can be done with some screws. But if you need to do a more complicated fix, keep these tools close by:
- A drill or screwdriver.
- Clothes pliers.
- Hammer it.
- Sticky gun.
- 3/16-inch bit for drilling.
- Locks and chains.
- Glue for wood.
- If you need to, get new sliders.
- Use a rag or paper towels.
- Glasses for safety.
- Brush that is soft.
As soon as you fix your door, it will be easy to open and close again. You can fix your drawer very quickly if you have the right tools and know-how.
HIGH QUALITY CABINET DRAWER BOXES
If you want to buy high-quality cabinet drawer boxes at the best prices, Drawer Connection is the clear choice. You can choose the wood you want, and we only get the best raw materials. Everything we make is very precise and built to last. There is a solid wood drawer box with a dovetail joint and a plastic drawer box with a dowel joint. Both are built to last!